For the first one I was nominated by Dhanish from My Sri Lankan Recipes and within a few hours the second one by Gloria from Simply Gloria. It has been 6 weeks only since I stepped into the blog-o-sphere and hence I am overwhelmed at receiving any kind of recognition.My sincere thank you to Dhanish and Gloria for being so thoughtful in passing it onto me. I am absolutely delighted. Recognition…fame..awards can come to you any stage in life but the ‘first’-s are etched in your memory forever.
A little bit about the awesome twosome:
Dhanish is a great cook and My Sri Lankan Recipes is filled with mouthwatering recipes and pictures. From classic Sri Lankan dishes to quick and easy meals, her blog has variety in the true sense of the word. Not to mention the little step by step tutorials. It cannot get easier than this. My personal favourite- her Simple Chocolate Cake (appearance wise by no means it looks simple…it is gorgeous)
Gloria is the Supermum! Crafts and cooking and everything in between. Need to give your furniture a makeover..head over to Simply Gloria. She also happens to be my ‘sugar twin’ and there are heaps of yummy desserts in her blog. Please do not forget to check out her Roasted Red Pepper Pasta Salad (I prefer to call it Rainbow salad). Seriously, if there was an award for the best looking Pasta salad I’d give it to her.
About the award
The Liebster award is given to encourage up and coming blogs, less than 200 followers to continue blogging. Liebster is a Deutsche word meaning ‘dear’ or ‘beloved’. So basically here, it means your favourite blog award.
Rules of the award
- Acknowledge the nominating blogger
- Write 11 random facts about yourself
- Answer the 11 questions posed to you by the nominating blogger
- List down 11 bloggers (with 200 or less followers) who you feel deserve to be recognised (you cannot nominate the person who nominated you).
- Post 11 new questions for the bloggers you nominate
- Inform all the bloggers you nominated that they have been nominated.
Random facts about me
- I am known to be extremely talkative. I can have a conversation with myself and lately I am mastering the art of having a monologue with an imaginative audience. So much for blogging..huh!
- I can read and write in Deutsche. Even though the award is new to me, the name is all too familiar.
- I do not give up..whatever the situation. So when the chocolate fondant/lava cake does not ooze out ‘lava’, I prefer to call it the ‘Soft centred chocolate pudding’!
- I have a thing for colours. And then there are seasons. Right now its ‘purple season’ for me- from dinnerware to ear rings (eggplants too).
- I often go shopping to buy ‘that one important thing’ and come back with several more (7 years of Banking has had no impact on me)
- Rains make me happy. Rainbows happier!
- I still enjoy reading Enid Blyton books. The ‘Wishing Chair’ is my favourite.
- I am a cleanliness fanatic. (And the lone woman in a house of 4…how does that sound?)
- I am super tech savvy (how I wish I could say that!!). Its the other way round…codes, software and such things freak me out.
- I love love love deep fried food. (And desserts…what a combo!)
- I am through and through a Libran. All that is written about balance and harmony is true…I can vouch for that!
Answers to Dhanish’s questions
What made you start blogging?
I started the blog as a place to share my combined love for baking/cooking, photography and writing. It was on my mind for a couple of years but I decided to wait till my boys were ready to go to preschool so I could have some spare time. My family and friends were ‘waiting’ for the blog to go live.
What is your favourite movie of all time?
I have so many but if I had to pick one it would be Million Dollar Baby.
Who is your role model?
I think a Mother plays the most important role in shaping up an individual’s personality. I have realised it more so since I became one. My role model could only be my mother. Even today, I fall back on her for everything under the sun.
If you could have 3 wishes, what would they be?
If I was granted 3 wishes right at this time, I would want to see my family in India, eat biriyani and make Summer come back (Its Autumn in Sydney and I am not enjoying the shorter days)
What is the favourite thing to do in your spare time?
Honestly, since the last 3 years, I do not remember having spare time. But yes, when I can make some time for myself I love to experiment with desserts..muti-elemental ones with many layers or elements and fancy garnishes. It is a sort of therapy for me.
What excites you the most?
Nothing like great food accompanied by great conversation.
What is the first item on your wish list?
A trip to Paris! I could spend a day or two at some of the famous Patisserie’s in Paris.
What is something you regret?
I firmly believe that everything happens for a reason. Therefore, no regrets so far!
What is your favourite dessert?
That one is really difficult. I eat, sleep and breathe desserts so picking up one is impossible. But I am more inclined towards cold and custard based ones- like Mousse..Creme Brulees..Ice creams.
Three favourite ingredients?
Butter, garlic and herbs. (Sugar is not even considered an ingredient..its my life)
What is your favourite cookbook?
Again, so many favourites but I would go with Raymond Blanc’s Kitchen Secrets. I look for cookbooks with stories and backgrounds..not just recipes.
Answers to Gloria’s questions
Why did you start blogging?
If your blog was a soundtrack what would your title song be?
Sugar et al in many ways is my dream come true and I so so love this little blog of mine. So the title song would be ‘Reaching for Heaven’ from Ice Princess.
Who inspires you?
I draw inspiration from everything I see around me…nature…food…people..books and so on.
How would you describe yourself in one word?
Who would you like to play in the movie of your life?
Superman maybe. I could do with some super powers at the moment.
What are you most passionate about?
In general I am passionate about everything I do but if I have to pick one it would be cooking/baking!
What is the one thing you want to accomplish in your lifetime?
When I was working a couple of years back, I had the opportunity of being engaged with a bit of Community Service. One among them involved the recruitment and hand holding of the visually impaired. It included tremendous hard work, patience, endless approvals and numerous challenges. In a multinational banking scenario where customer data is at the top of everything, the risk is significant. I had to undergo training myself.There are times when I would break down but then the courage and strength of the people involved kept me going. Finally they came aboard and completed their first assignment. I couldn’t stop the tears flowing from my eyes…that was the proudest moment of my life. They set an example to the world. Till today I admire their determination and talent. And that has left a deep desire in me to go out there and do something for the differently abled. I am too too tied up at the moment but someday I hope to accomplish this. At least for the time being, I would love to write a post on the time I spent with them.
What is your biggest pet peeve?
People texting on their mobile phones while having a conversation with me.
What is the farthest you have ever travelled?
From Bangalore (India) to Sydney. In miles and in essence, the biggest move of my life!
What is your favourite hobby?
Cooking/baking and photography.
What is your proudest moment?
I have mentioned that above
My 11 questions to the nominated bloggers
- What do you enjoy the most about blogging?
- Sweet or Savory?
- Your favourite kitchen tool?
- Your most prized possesion?
- Your biggest ‘purchase’ regret?
- Your favourite memory?
- If you were told that you could live for one more day only, what would you like to do?
- Your dream holiday spot?
- If you were a season, which one best describes you?
- Something you carry with you all the time?
- Your ideal 3 course menu?
And the esteemed Liebster award goes to (I honestly have no idea how many followers each of them have or if they have received it before…I am nominating them because I like visiting their blogs and would love to pass it on to them (Sorry if i made a mistake!)
I highly recommend that you visit these blogs!
Pavithra from Potpourri
Sona from Quick Picks
Bhawna from Simply Delicious
Li from Words & Cake
Rashida from Inherited Recipes
T2M from techie2mom (sorry, I do not have your name. Nevertheless I love your blog)
Thats my list for now. Congratulations guys!
Please do link back to me when you post. Cant wait to read your answers!
I also take this opportunity to thank all my readers and supporters. I couldn’t be more grateful. See you soon!